Try this recipe and scrap your comment!!!

Monday, February 9, 2009

Sweet idly/Karuppati idly

Sweet idly/Karuppati idly by Mrs. Poonmudi Illangovan

Sonu's all time favourite - Sweet Idly

I have seen my kid sonu eating this dish, without any problem from his grandma[My mom], Whenever i visit my hometown, she is ready with this dish, to serve her grandson. There is some special taste when my mom prepares this dish, More than me, my kid whose is 2 year old is ready to eat this anytime.
About this dish:
Whenever there is some special occasion at my place, you have definitely see this dish ready.This is famous among interior of south india @ places like Karaikudi,Chidambaram.

As for as i know this is my family's traditional dish. My mom prepares batter of this idly with the hand grinder made of stones, this gives a special taste to this recipe. I use only by blender for preparing the batter.

Karupatti/Jaggery is mixed in this idly, which is a rich source of iron and very nutritious for kids.
I am glad to present this dish for the contest Cooking for kids with Love conducted by pritya earlier intiated by sharmi

Ingredients:
  • Boiled rice/Puzungal arisi – 1cup
  • Urad dal – 1/2cup
  • moong dal - 1/4cup
  • Jaggery – 1cup
  • cardamom powder– 1/2tsp
  • Grated coconut – 1/4cup - for garnish
  • moong dal - 4tsp - for garnish
  • Ghee – 2tbsp

Method:

  • Soak rice, urad dal, moong dal overnight and grind it next morning.
  • The batter should be thick
  • add 1/4 tsp of salt to the batter and allow it to fragment for 12 hours atleast.
  • Once the batter is ready.
  • Then dissolve jaggery and cardamom in 1/4cup water,allow it to boil,filter and take the syrup.
  • add this syrup into idly flour.
  • soak 4tsp moong dal for 1hr and roast it.
  • grease idly plates with ghee and pour flour.
  • Sprinkle coconut and roasted moong dal on each idly.
  • Now steam it in idly cooker for 10 - 15 min.
  • Remove the idly from steam and serve hot.

Sweet Idlly or Karuppati idlly ready.

5 comments:

Preety said...

hey i never thought of making sweet version of idli..

Gayathri said...

Try this preety, if u have sweet tooth, you will love it and particulary kids will like it the most.

Sharmi said...

a very beautiful and authentic recipe! Never heard of it but always enjoy the tradition which lies beneath. Thanks for a lovely contribution. I do not know if we get karupatti vellam here in US.

Gayathri said...

yes do get karupatti vellam in indian store, Swad brand

Anonymous said...

I also never heard of sweet idlies -- they look beautiful :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

Paid for Clicking ads!!!

No investment - 100% legitimate

No investment - 100% legitimate
Right now - Just a click!!!