Sonu's all time favourite - Sweet Idly
I have seen my kid sonu eating this dish, without any problem from his grandma[My mom], Whenever i visit my hometown, she is ready with this dish, to serve her grandson. There is some special taste when my mom prepares this dish, More than me, my kid whose is 2 year old is ready to eat this anytime.
About this dish:
Whenever there is some special occasion at my place, you have definitely see this dish ready.This is famous among interior of south india @ places like Karaikudi,Chidambaram.
As for as i know this is my family's traditional dish. My mom prepares batter of this idly with the hand grinder made of stones, this gives a special taste to this recipe. I use only by blender for preparing the batter.
Karupatti/Jaggery is mixed in this idly, which is a rich source of iron and very nutritious for kids.
I am glad to present this dish for the contest Cooking for kids with Love conducted by pritya earlier intiated by sharmi
- Boiled rice/Puzungal arisi – 1cup
- Urad dal – 1/2cup
- moong dal - 1/4cup
- Jaggery – 1cup
- cardamom powder– 1/2tsp
- Grated coconut – 1/4cup - for garnish
- moong dal - 4tsp - for garnish
- Ghee – 2tbsp
- Soak rice, urad dal, moong dal overnight and grind it next morning.
- The batter should be thick
- add 1/4 tsp of salt to the batter and allow it to fragment for 12 hours atleast.
- Once the batter is ready.
- Then dissolve jaggery and cardamom in 1/4cup water,allow it to boil,filter and take the syrup.
- add this syrup into idly flour.
- soak 4tsp moong dal for 1hr and roast it.
- grease idly plates with ghee and pour flour.
- Sprinkle coconut and roasted moong dal on each idly.
- Now steam it in idly cooker for 10 - 15 min.
- Remove the idly from steam and serve hot.
Sweet Idlly or Karuppati idlly ready.